The last couple months have been rough, and that’s putting it mildly. After taking some time off traveling and getting back in love with being in the kitchen, I decided to make something that was both a challenge and comforting. I know what you are going to say…”Baking a pie is going to be so difficult!” I say so is life! So hunker down this pie is fun to make and looks amazing sitting on your kitchen table. *Except it won’t stay there for long.
- 1 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 cup water (preferred cold)
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 1/2 Cups Flour
- 1 Cup of Unsalted Butter
- 8 Green Apple
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 3/4 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 3/4 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 9 Tablespoon of Flour (or 3 Tablespoon Cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoon Lemon Juice (1 whole lemon)
- 1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Raw Sugar
- Milk (using a brush)
- We start with the crust. Mix the flour and salt together. Add the unsalted butter little in at a time. Making sure the mixture is crumbly. This is the key to a great tasting flaky crust. Put to the side.
- Beating an egg and the water in a separate bowl. After combined add the egg mixture to the buttery-flour mixture. Gently fold together. Let it sit for a bit. Making sure the mixture is the great balance between not too wet and not overly dry. If its on the wet side take the mixture and add some flour, using your hands to fold the mixture. Make sure not to over work the dough, it will become too tough.
- Cut the dough into two balls one is going to be used for the base and the other is for the top. Make sure to chill the 2 dough balls in the refrigerator for at least an hour. (30 minutes in the freezer if in a hurry)
- While the dough is chilling, its time to make the apple filling. In a small sauce pan, whisk together the cinnamon, sugar, nutmeg, and flour or cornstarch. Stir in the apple cider vinegar. Put in small bowl and chill in the refrigerator.
- Prepare to make the fillings by peel, core, and slice. Place apple slices in a bowl and microwave for 2 minutes. Then after stir and place back in the microwave for another 2 minutes. Stir in the mixture in from the fridge, until its fully combined. Place back in the fridge to cool.
- Grab one of the dough balls and roll out until about 1-1/2 inch larger than the pie pall all the way around. Put the bottom crust in the pie pan and in the refrigerator to chill.
- Pour the apple filling in the pie pan.
- Roll out another of the dough balls for the top of the crust. After place on the top, cut an X in the middle of the pie to let some hair out when its in the oven. Using a ford to make the pie crust detailing.
- Using a brush to coat the crust with the milk (a thin layer in the middle making sure not to go over the fork markings at the end.) Sprinkle the brown sugar and raw sugar on the top, and place in the oven.
- Cook the pie at 400 degrees for 20 minutes then turn the heat down to 350 degrees for 35 minutes until the crust is golden brown