- 1/4 cup Kahlua
- 2 cups milk (I used Lactaid)
- 2 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 6 egg yolks *save the egg whites for scrambled eggs for your pup or yourself! 🙂
- 1 packet of the starbucks via instant coffee or 2 tablespoon of your choice espresso powder
- In a large saucepan, combine the Kahlua, milk, sugar, coffee powder, and cream
- Grab a whisk, when you are ready bring the mixture to a boil on medium heat, making sure to whisk slowly. When the mixture starts to boil remove from heat and put to the side.
- In a separate large bowl, beat together the egg yolks
- Put 1 cup of the hot mixture to the side, and then slowly pour that one cup while you quickly whisk the eggs mixture. This process is called tempering the eggs. The reason why we want to do little by little of the hot mixture into the eggs is so we don’t scrabble the eggs.
- After you put the 1 cup into the bowl with the eggs, slowly pour that eggs mixture into the hot saucepan to combine both mixtures. Make sure to whisk while you are slowly pouring mixture back into the saucepan.
- Now you will need to use a fine mesh strainer and a container which you will be storing the ice cream
- Strain the ice cream mixture through the strainer, yes i know it takes time lol *tip you can use a spoon to press the mixture through the strainer to go faster
- Once the mixture is through the strainer you will need to put a layer of plastic wrap on the surface, cover container with a lid to get all the air out. Chill for at least 2 hours in the refrigerator.
- Once its past the 2 hours its ready to put in the ice cream maker!
Make sure to put the ice cream maker bowl in the freezer before you start this recipe to make sure it’ll be ready for you to use. Check out your owner’s manual for details! 🙂